Andrew M. Herring, Ph.D.
Colorado Fuel Cell Center, and Colorado Energy, Materials, and Computing Center
Office: 364 Alderson Hall
Andrew Herring received his Ph.D in Chemistry from the University of Leeds, UK in 1988. His thesis title was “New Transition Metal Complexes Containing Functionalised Phosphine Ligands.” He obtained his B.Sc. (Honors) in Chemistry at the University of Leeds, UK in 1985. He was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow between 1988-1991 at the California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech), Pasadena, CA. At Cal Tech, investigated the partial oxidation of hydrocarbons in aqueous solutions containing platinum complexes. Dr. Herring was a Visiting Professional between 1991 and 1993. National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, Colorado. He worked on the development of a water-based system for the electrocatalytic reduction of carbon dioxide to carbon monoxide using palladium complexes containing novel water soluble tridentate phosphine ligands.
- “Spectroscopic Studies of Heteropoly Acid-doped 3M Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Polymer Membranes.” F. Meng, S.F. Dec, D. Willimason, M. Frey, S.J.Hamrock, J.A. Turner, and A.M. Herring, “Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells V, in Honor of Supramaniam Srinivasan.” S. R. Narayanan, C. Bock, T. Fuller, S. Mukerjee , C. Lamy, E. Stuve, and J. Weidner, Eds, Electrochemical Society Transactions, 2006, 1, 255.
- “Sol-Gel SiO 2-Polymer Hybrid Heteropoly Acid-Based Proton Exchange Membranes.” F. J. Pern, and J. A. Turner, Fanqin Meng, and A. M. Herring, Proceedings of the Materials Research Society, “The Hydrogen Cycle -- Generation, Storage, and Fuel Cells.” A. Dillon, C. Olk, J. Ohi, and C. Filiou, Eds., 2006, 855, 51-57.
- “Increased Stability of PFSA Proton Exchange Membranes Under Fuel Cell Operation by the Decomposition of Peroxide Catalyzed by Heteropoly Acids”, G.M. Haugen, F. Meng, N. Aieta, J. Horan, M.H. Frey, S.J. Hamrock,** and A.M. Herring, “Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells VI.” T. Fuller, C. Bock, T.V. Nguyen, M.F. Mathias, T.D. Javi, H.A. Gasteiger, V. Ramani, S. Cleghorn, E.M. Stuve, and T. Zawodzinski, Eds, Electrochemical Society Transactions, 2006, 3, 551.
- “Dynamics of PFSA polymer hydration measured in situ by SAXS”, M.A. Yandrasits, N. Aieta, R.J. Stanis, S.J. Hamrock, D.J. Cookson, and A.M. Herring, “Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells VI.”, T. Fuller, C. Bock, T.V. Nguyen, M.F. Mathias, T.D. Javi, H.A. Gasteiger, V. Ramani, S. Cleghorn, E.M. Stuve, and T. Zawodzinski, Eds, Electrochemical Society Transactions, 2006, 3, 915.
- “Structurally Cross-Linked Composite Proton Exchange Membranes” J. Pern, J.A Turner, S.F. Dec, Y. Yan, B. To, D. Lipfert, F. Meng, and A.M. Herring, Submitted to “30 th Anniversary Fuel Cell seminar”, Electrochemical Society Transactions, 2007, 5, xxx.